Meeting the Press
- A university degree, preferably in media,
This course of meeting the press aims at transferring the knowledge in an effective way that serves objectives and goals of public or private organizations. This could be through television, radio, newspapers, internet, conferences, or any other means directed at large audiences. This course is designed to help professionals and managers understand the basics of dealing with the media in a real environment and to provide participants with the appropriate skills needed to understand the media tools in general.
At the end of the course, participants should:
- Understand the rules of dealing with the media (TV, radio, interviews, conferences….)
- Be able to understand the different media tools and perceive the general concept of journalism
- Learn how to properly prepare interviews and use them for the objective goals
- Reaching the media through personal relationships with journalists and media producers
- Types of interviews and talk shows currently prevailing in media (information talk, opinion talk, personal features)
- How to prepare and organize a press conference
- Interviews: an ordeal or a breakthrough
- Interview skills
- The three main building features: clarity, confidence, control
- The difference between TV, radio and newspaper’s interviews
• Understanding the information values
- What creates the story or the event?
- Who is the audience?
- Why some stories are outstanding and others are not?
- What makes your message relevant?
- Defining your main message in relation to your experience and specialty
- Conclusion ( make your message condensed and brief)
• Techniques of interviews
- How to deal with difficult questions
- Moving to positive content
- ABCD formula: acknowledgement, building, control, dangling
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Reason, regret, remedy
- How to express concern without accepting the responsibility
• Telephone interview: (storytelling and orienting the journalist)
- Preparing the telephone interview
- The interview
- Reviewing and analysing the interview
• The live studio TV interview (improving the TV presentation techniques)
- Basics of filmed interviews
- The dos and don’ts
- Relaxation exercises
- How to dress?
- Face expressions and breathing
- Preparing the TV interview
- Interview in the studio
- Review and analysis of the interview
• The art of dealing with DTLs
- Preparing for the interview
- The interview
- Reviewing and analyzing the interview
A graduation certificate accredited by Aljazeera Media Institute.